the Danish American Center in Minneapolis. Fourteen
grads from 1950 and 3 from 1949 attended. All were
encouraged to tell U High "life stories" . They could talk
about anything except surgeries and health. Two of their
stories are below; if you want a larger picture, click on
the corner of the picture. Photographers were Ted
Anderson , Ellen Ferwerda and Dick Thompson -- TA, EF
and DT.
Today I've been thinking about what a creative challenge
this was for me. There was something for everybody among
the presenters and that was my goal. But I am proudest of
how the needs of the man who needed gluten free food was
met. Thursday night we got pizza from Papa Murphy's and
I wanted to be sure the man ate pizza. When I found gluten
free pizza rounds in the local Cub Foods freezer, I had a
brainstorm. We took the unopened pizza rounds to Papa
Murphy's and they put the toppings on one of them for the
price of an eight inch pizza! (Maybe Papa Murphy's ought
to offer gluten free pizzas.)
Some of the stories people told:
Jane Buffington – reluctantly told about her worldwide
travels and national tennis medals that she has won.
(She said she didn't want to brag.) She recounted how
she had run into Lois Simonson at the Bach Festival
last summer. Jane was an ice skater in high school.
She knew Val Ray Kohner ('49) who came for dinner
Friday night. Val Ray left U High in September 1948
to tour with the Ice Follies.
| Jane and Jack Buffington by TA |
Tony Garmers - guides visitors up the Witches
Hat water tower in St. Anthony Park. He lives in the
community and enjoys the once-a-year event. The
architect for this tower back in 1913, Mr. Cattelen, has
a U High connection. Tony still makes tools for dentists
at a firm started by his father. As he says,
"I'm not re-tired, I'm tired only once." One other fact
about Tony is that in June 1955 he was the only grad-
uate in Metallurgical Engineering and Arthur Upgren
was the only graduate in Astronomy and Jerry
Wolterstorff was the only anthropology graduate.
| Tony Garmers , Jane Keyes (right) by TA |
-->
No comments:
Post a Comment